Maulānā Husain Ahmad Madni and the secret behind his popularity in Medina
The answer to what made Maulāna rise from obscurantism to become one of the most popular teachers of Medina can be found from Najmuddin Islāhi’s observation. According to him, it rests on the following norms that the Maulānā observed:
- He never sought personal fame, respect or material benefit from his learning; his only objectives were the blessings of God (May He Be Exalted), spreading the message of Islām, expanding the area of knowledge, reducing the grip of ignorance and bringing the creation of God on the righteous path.
- Following the example of the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) he showed filial affection for his students.
- He never charged any fee or material compensation from those he taught.
- He always advised students to observe purity of character and conduct and refrain from evil ways. About this he was so strict that he severely chastised if a student was found amiss in this respect.
- While imparting instruction he trimmed his lessons in accordance with the calibre and disposition of individual students.
- Carefully observed the dictum: “practice what you preach” so that nobody could point out any discordance in his word and deed.